It was converted into a movie theatre in 1915 and renamed the Canmore Opera House, even though opera was not a regular form of entertainment for the small mining town. The new name and rustic design, however, garnered it a bit of an international reputation. Hollywood stars who visited Banff couldn’t pass up the opportunity to check out the world’s only log opera house.
The building was expanded in 1922, but its doors closed in 1932 during the Great Depression. The Canmore Opera House reopened again to screen films in the late 1940s, before it closed for the last time in 1960. The structure fell into disrepair and was to be demolished, when arrangements were made in 1964 to dismantle it, log-by-log, and reconstruct it at Heritage Park in Calgary, where it remains today.